Is It Legal? 3 Common Questions about Home Add-ons

Posted on: February 3, 2015 | By: Michael T. | Uncategorized

Is It Legal? 3 Common Questions about Home Add-ons

IICRC-Certified Fire Remediation Services San FranciscoSan Francisco residents face a long list of natural disasters. Earthquakes, floods and fires cause immense property damage in the Bay Area.

Residents are frequently rebuilding, restoring or adding to their homes. However, few understand the legalities of home remodeling. You should always review the regulations of the San Francisco Planning Department before you invest in extensions or additions, the electrical supply or the plumbing of your property.

If you are considering a new remodeling project, contact Allied Restoration Company. We can provide guidance and support for homeowners interested in property restoration in Marin County and surrounding areas. Call 415-529-5637 today for more information.

Here are the answers to three common questions about home add-ons:

1. Do you need a permit? 

According to the San Francisco Department of Building Inspections, a permit is necessary for most additions unless the work is specifically exempted from the Building Code. Homeowners may need a building permit to add a property extension or to make structural changes. If you are making major additions to your electrical or water supply, then you may need an Electrical or Plumbing permit.

2. How long will it take to receive a permit? 

The Planning Department approves most building permits immediately at the Planning Information Center. However, if your project requires that you notify neighbors, it may take a few months to process. Also, you may wait several months if the plans go under a Discretionary Review.

3. How much do permits? 

Permit fees differ according to the size of your project, and some rates for building permits include New Construction fees, Alteration fees or Change of Use fees. The cost of construction determines these expenses.

The Planning Department may have to evaluate the environmental impact of your project, which is more expensive but usually exclusive to massive construction. You may also pay more for public hearings or Planning Commissions. The San Francisco Planning Department recommends thoroughly investigating which costs apply to your project.

Your homeowner’s insurance agent should have some answers about your restoration plans. If you have a building contractor, he or she may be able to get the permit on your behalf.

Because of all the regulations and the complexity of most renovations, you should consider hiring a professional to handle your property restoration in San Francisco. Call Allied Restoration at 415-529-5637 to begin the process of fixing your plumbing, electrical or structural problems.