Natural Methods of San Francisco Mold and Mildew Removal
In houses with poor ventilation, moisture and humidity levels can contribute to the growth of mold and mildew. Besides being smelly and unsightly, some types of these fungi can be very dangerous, even fatal, to humans. For this reason, San Francisco mold and mildew removal is best left to the professionals.
Black mold, for example, can disperse harmful mycotoxins into the air in the form of spores, and can cause serious health problems in people with allergies.
Some types of these mycotoxins are trichothecenes, beta glucans, nitric oxides, and aflatoxins. A few of the most threatening molds are stachybotrys mold or black mold, penicillium, and aspergillus; these have been known to cause various respiratory problems, skin rashes, memory loss, and brain damage, as well as cancers of the kidney, liver, and esophagus and leukemia.
If you have just a small area to clean (less than 10 square feet), there are some steps you can take to remove mold and mildew from your home. Get your long rubber gloves, goggles and respirator (to protect against mold spores) and follow these guidelines:
Step 1: Scrub off surfaces
For non-porous surfaces such as varnished wood or tile, clean first with a non-ammonia soap or detergent in hot water, scrubbing the mold thoroughly, then rinse clean with water. Never mix bleach with ammonia; the fumes are toxic.
Step 2: Get the right type of cleaner
If you want to use natural cleansers instead of bleach, sprays made with tea tree oil, vinegar, and grapefruit seed extract are all effective for killing mold. A small amount (around 2 teaspoons) of tea tree oil mixed with water and sprayed on the affected area will help, and a grapefruit seed extract spray is even better because it does not have a strong odor like tea tree oil. Use about 20 drops of the extract in 2 cups of water. Vinegar sprayed directly on the mold or mildew is also an excellent natural remedy.
Step 3: Dry and dehumidify
Dry all surfaces completely and run a dehumidifier. Fix any leaks or problems that could be causing the growth of the mold.
Clearly, if you have any mold in your home, it is vital to your health to get it checked out as soon as possible. Also, it can damage your home since it ruins what it grows on, so the sooner you act to get rid of it, the more you can save your valuable property. Mold remediators can come to your home and test the humidity levels and types of mold you have to determine if any are toxic, and help you remove it completely.