3 Essential Disaster Planning Tips
Natural disasters strike the Bay Area often, and you should prepare for these events to protect your family, community and pets. Knowing how to identify an oncoming disaster and how to react in the situation empowers you to ready your family and help others after the event.
Most disaster preparations cover all natural hazards, including having a kit of supplies and a plan. However, your home is also vulnerable to the weather.
Flooding, fires and earthquakes can cause massive damage that requires extensive repairs. Allied Restoration Company specializes in water damage repair and disaster planning in San Francisco. Call 415-529-5637 to strengthen your property against any emergency.
Here are three steps to prepare you for a disaster before it strikes:
1. Familiarize yourself with your local authorities and their emergency procedures.
The Natural Resource Defense Council recommends that you contact local agencies, or visit their websites, for official information about emergency school closings, evacuation plans and disaster response protocols before another disaster hits the Bay Area. Additionally, ask your employer if there are any company procedures to follow in emergencies.
2. Update your personal information ahead of a disaster.
Every member of your family needs an emergency contact card. It stipulates a preplanned meeting place and telephone number, so that you can find one another when catastrophe strikes. Also, provide contact details for a friend that lives outside the area so that family members can check in and keep everyone informed of their whereabouts.
Each family member needs an emergency phone and charger to use in a disaster so that everyone is able to contact the friend and adhere to prearranged agreements. Your animals also need a contact card stating their name, age, medical requirements and other needs. They should each have their own collar, leash, carrier, food, and water and food bowls.
3. Stockpile vital provisions in case you need to shelter at home or evacuate.
Emergency protocols include providing your family with enough supplies to survive three days without outside help to prepare for a worst-case scenario. You should do the following when disaster is inevitable and headed your way:
- Provide each person with 2 gallons of water for at least three days
- Ensure you have enough matches and candles to last several days
- Stock an extra flashlight with enough batteries
- Have a ready-made first aid kit
- Cover windows and doors with thick plastic and duct tape
- Buy extra food for your pets
- Pack dry foods that do not require preparation, such as canned goods, peanut butter and energy bars
- Remember to include a can opener
- Fill any large storage containers with water for flushing the toilet and bathing, and fill the tub, as well
- Refill any prescriptions your family members may require
- Ensure your car has a full gas tank, in case of evacuation
- Include a radio and plenty of batteries, so that you can listen in for emergency updates
Disaster Planning in San Francisco
Allied Restoration Company has a team of qualified experts in disaster planning and recovery. We offer a vital emergency plan for any catastrophe to members of our Allied Platinum Plus® program, and we can usually be on the scene of any disaster within the hour. Call 415-529-5637 to find out how we can help you prepare for an emergency, and conduct any fire, smoke or water damage repair that you may require.